Sunday, February 15, 2009

The NEW Chicago White Sox

I am a huge White Sox fan and I am always drinking the Black & Silver cool aide come spring. I am a pretty optimistic person over all and always try to stress the positive. I know most of the time it is unlikely that my sports teams will win the championship every year, but I can always convince my self there is a way. Especially with baseball. Sometimes I think I enjoy the hot stove season more than the actual season. The offseason and spring training are full of potential and optimism. Everyone is in first place, you just have to figure out how to stay there.

Being a SOX fan, you automatically have a chip on your shoulder. The White Sox never get the credit they deserve, and we probably wouldnt like it if we did. So I was not shocked to hear Baseball Prospectus pick the White Sox to finish in last place in the AL Central. I was a little surprized that KC was picked ahead of us as they are perenial sellar dwellers, but they have been coming on the past few years. Cleveland had the best record in baseball the 2nd half of the season, and have made some improvements. The Tigers were supposed to win it all with their all star line up but fell flat, they should be better. The twins, man I hate the twins, they are in it every year. I cant wait fot their new stadium to open so they wont have a huge home filed advantage, but of course it will be freezing there and they will probably draft the best cold weather players and get off to great starts and have strong finishes. OOOHHH they make me SO MAD!! But I digress The beloved White SOX have a bit of a youth movement going. We really need to do, but som many people think young ball players are bad ball players. And I will admit they tend to make more mistakes, but if all young players were bad, then we would never be able to develop good veteran players. Young players havent proven they can do it in the Majors, but they havent proven they cant either. Maybe it's because I can still replay the 2005 World Series victory in my head or that we made the playoffs last year. Maybe it was us winning 3 consecutive must win games including the awesome "black out" game to end last year. Granted we lost in the first round, but a lot of that can be blamed on Javie Vazquez and the diapointing Nick Swisher not to mention Quinten was out due to injury, well Vazquez and Swisher were traded, Quinten is back and the new young guys are faster, more athletic, and appear to be baseball players who know and are willing to do the "little" things to suplement our big boppers. I am psyched about the 2009 White Sox and even more psyched about 2010! I'm a sucker for young potential and for the first time in a long time the SOX seem to have a load of talent in the minors that is just about to blossom on the baseball landscape.

No comments: